The Dennis Learning Center offers free one-on-one appointments for Ohio State students. Trained in learning and motivation strategies, Learning Specialists help undergraduate, graduate, and professional students examine academic strengths and weaknesses and develop strategies that lead to success.
Click the button below to go to our online appointment scheduler. If you have scheduling questions, please don't hesitate to email or call a Learning Specialist at 614-688-4011.
Make an Appointment.
Some common questions.
What are some of the most common reasons for meeting with a Learning Specialist?
- Managing time and busting procrastination
- Developing effective study methods
- Overcoming test anxiety
- Improving test-taking strategies
- Learning more from readings and lectures
- Becoming a confident and resilient student
Do I need to bring anything?
- Appointments are personalized to your own concerns, strengths, and weaknesses, so the only things required are your presence and willingness to brainstorm.
- Some students like to get feedback on their current note-taking, reading, or test-taking methods by bringing in a notebook, textbook, or test. You are welcome to do so, although this is completely optional. While we do not offer subject-specific tutoring, we are able to give feedback on the strategies you are using in any class or subject.
Where do I go for my appointment?
- The Dennis Learning Center is located on the second floor of the Younkin Success Center [Campus Map].
- Enter the computer classroom (Younkin 250) to access the Learning Specialists’ offices, 250D, 250E, 250F, and 250K.
What can I expect during an appointment?
- The Learning Specialist will get to know you as an individual—how have things been going at Ohio State? what classes are you taking? what are your goals? how do you approach your academics and your time?
- Discussion will center on assessing your current strategies, learning about new and effective strategies, and developing a personalized plan of action to help you reach your academic goals.
How do I set up an appointment?
- We offer online scheduling. Make an appointment now.
- If you have questions, please don't hesitate to email or call a Learning Specialist at 614-688-4011.
How do I provide feedback about my appointment?
- We are continually seeking to improve our appointment services. Please share your feedback with us by completing this brief survey.